Well, it's been a big week here on Sandholm Ranch. On Monday, we found out that we are going to be bringing a little Boy Sandholm into the world here at the end of the year, and that everything looks healthy and seems to be growing properly. The ultrasound photos we got weren't super exciting as the wee one chose to stay curled up and facing down in the ol' uterus, but it looks like he has a really nice spine, so we have that going for us.
Gabe and I also got to test out our child care prowess on Tuesday night when we got to baby-sit for the one and only Baby Claire Popelka. She is such a good kid, and funny! She just randomly giggles and squeals -- it's great. She seems to have some pretty funny stories stored in her little head that she wants to share with anyone who will listen. We propped her up in the corner of the couch and put her toys around her, and she had a good time communing with her plush friends. We were also watching a "Good Eats" rerun on the Food Network and then the "Daily Show" a little later in the evening, and Claire stopped paying attending to her stuffed animal buddies and focused on the voice and commentary of both Alton Brown and Jon Stewart. Maybe Claire will be the one to start a new genre of television program -- the fake and satirical cooking show? That might be pretty cool.
We're also starting to reconfigure the Ranch a little bit on the inside. Yesterday, I made an appointment with the Qwest people to come out and move our DSL jack so that we can begin to move the office space out of our one spare bedroom--soon to be the baby's room--and put it into an empty cubby we have in the living room. We also bought a crib from Sears yesterday -- it is super cute, was on sale, and Baby Bargains gave it a rating of B-. I'm OK with the B- rating considering the cribs they rate in the A range all seem to be in the $500-$700 range, making me think maybe there was some lobbying done with the Baby Bargains authors to help grease the ratings skids a little. I work in PR, people. I know about these things. (As an FYI, we don't pay for good ratings for our clients. But there are much less reputable companies and firms who do!)
Another topic top of mind right now -- boy names. If you have any suggestions -- and they are names you aren't hoping to name your own future male children -- please let us know! We aren't going to be publicly unveiling the child's name until his birth, but any ideas are appreciated to help us get the old creative naming juices going. And I don't think a first name starting with an "S" will be a good idea...Samuel Sandholm? Steven Sandholm? Sebastian Sandholm? That's really just a speech impediment waiting to happen.
Thursday, July 13, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Enjoyed reading the blog. Good to hear Allistair is home and doing well. I for one will leave the baby naming for others then when I hear it I can go OH MY GOD where did they get that from but after several repeatings it will fit the grandson just fine. Maybe they should through in an occasional girls name once in a while just in case. Or am I the only one who doesn't have complete faith in the new technology. I don't think the small town papers do their society columns anymore. Nobody wants to be the busybody who writes the column and doesn't always get the info quite right. Now they put in their own little exerpt of life such as births, reunions, and highlights of the childrens accomplishments. Love mom p
We have one lady who still writes "who had lunch with who" type columns here at the ol' Central Oregonian. We encourage her to find other topics, but she is unpaid and has written her column for a long time, so we tend to let it slide. The Christmas and Thanksgiving ones are best, "Sally flew all the way from Baltimore to join us for Lorriane's famous brunch". Famous to Sally, Lorriane and the author only, btw.
As for boy names, I have several I've been cooking ever since my seventh grade teacher chose not to utulize "Zeus" as I'd suggested. (She went with Coner, that's right, one 'n'. Though pronounced "Connor" in her eyes, we all called him "CONE - er" for the first few years, still bitter about the Zeus thing. On a slightly more serious note, I think Lake is kinda neat for a boy. Not common, but short, easy to spell and pronounce. My parents had Samantha, Claire, and Carrie in the running with AnneMarie, and I still dream of a day when I don't have to say my name three times and spell it to each person I meet.
I LOVE the name game! I think you should consider non-traditional, yet classic, such as Gunther (pronounced GUNE-t'er) or Jakob (pronounced YA-cub). Of course, there's always the option of paying homage to the acestors with something like Olaf or Fabian (http://www.babynames.org.uk/swedish-baby-names.htm). Hope this helps! :-)
Post a Comment