- "You just really got huge, didn't you? It seems like one day you were regular, and then just huge. It happened really fast!"
- "So-and-so co-worker called and asked how you were doing, and I told her that you were just huge."
The only thing I can think of to say when I'm told this -- because it really is a bit of a shell-shocker to hear -- is, "Um...thank you?"
Gabe has tried to explain to me that the people saying these things don't mean them in a derogatory way and really are just making the point that it seems like one day it I didn't look pregnant and then the next day I looked really pregnant, which I get; however, couldn't they maybe just say it differently? Being called "huge" on a regular basis just isn't fun. Ok, ok -- maybe it's a karmic payback...I have been known to call my fair share of pregnant ladies "ginormous," "huge" and "the size of a house," but I never actually called them that directly to their FACE. So, I guess I should decide which is worse...being called "huge" behind my back or directly to me? It's a tough call.
Maybe I should just suck it up, not worry about it so much and understand what goes around, comes around...but it's sort of like that situation where it's OK for you to make fun of your family, their quirks and eccentricities; however, it's not OK for anyone else to say the same thing about your family because, well, it's your family and you know even if you identify their weirdnesses, you still love them dearly because they are your family. But, if someone else says the same things, well...it's hard to think that they are saying those things with the same level of unconditional love behind them, because they really aren't nice things to say. So, I suppose this is my stance on the "God, you're huge!" issue. If I know you aren't being mean to me, you can say it to my face. If I can't tell for sure if you are being mean, feel free to share it with your friends (I can appreciate the good gossip fodder of ginormous pregnant people), but I'm cool not knowing.
Another big belly fun fact -- it gets into everything. For instance, today I go to work wearing a clean shirt. I get out of the car, take the elevator up to the office, get to my cube, look down, and see a black streak going across my belly. Good thing I have SHOUT wipes at my desk! No idea how that streak got there. I've also managed to get frosting on my belly, as well as get water on it from both the bathroom and kitchen counters. Good times, good times.
Now, the cankle is another issue entirely. I have been having this phenomenon happening off and on since I became pregnant, but it has been pretty gross the past couple days, and it got really bad when it was hot for that one week this summer. The cankle happens when you really can no longer tell where your calf ends and the ankle begins (hence, "cankle"), but I also get the added bonus of having these huge and disgusting balloon-looking feet that appear to no longer have bones in them with Little Smokie sausage toes sticking off the end. I had Gabe take photos of my cankles to post a photo to share with you all, but we both decided it really was too gross and there was no reason for anyone to have to look at them for an extended period of time. But, I think you get the idea. :)
So, this is my manifesto on the big belly and cankle experiences I'm having as a first-time pregnant lady. Granted, my pregnancy issues could be thousands of times worse, and I really shouldn't complain. But, just thought I'd share. And, because these issues aren't that serious, I think that makes them inherently more comical. So, once I get over being offended and disgusted, I expect that I will look back at this whole time and laugh. Which is a good thing.

1 comment:
"you are huge"? seriously? i swear - if someone asks you if you're having twins, you should just kick them in the shins. if the commenter is male, kick him in HIS twins :) what the heck is wrong with people? i'm pretending to pass you in the hall now -"ranae! look at your cute preggo belly!"..."oops, looks like you got a little frosting there" (chuckle, chuckle)..."better get that off."
Post a Comment